Job Title: Teacher Reports to: Assistant Principal
2. Job Purpose:
The teacher is responsible for teaching the approved curriculum in area of expertise, managing student behavior, and carrying out teaching duties as outlined in the school handbook.
3. Job Dimensions: Key facts and figures which give an indication of the scope and scale of the job.
Accountability for annual operating budget / project budget / sales revenue:
Nature of financial accountability: n/a Magnitude of financial accountability: n/a
# staff supervised: 0 # direct reports: 0 # contractors/others: 0
4. Key Result Areas:
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Maintain a high degree of curriculum-instruction-assessment congruence and contribute to the evaluation and development of curriculum as requested
- In cooperation with colleagues teaching the same material, prepare short and long-term plans that reflect learning objectives and student ability, and which incorporate a variety of instructional strategies and engaging learning activities
- Use information obtained from assessments to develop and revise instructional strategies and activities
- Organize and maintain a neat and attractive classroom to enhance the learning environment
- Coordinate with library, administrative, IT, and maintenance staff for needed services
- Communicate clear expectations and objectives for behavior and learning, as well as criteria for assessment of learning achievement
- Use formative and summative assessment strategies to support student learning
- Submit grades and comments, and document student progress as required
- Identify individual students’ learning needs and adjust instructional strategies as appropriate
- Provide frequent and constructive feedback to students
- Communicate clear classroom rules and respectful standards of behavior, hold students accountable, and apply consistent and fair consequences
- Attend required meetings and serves on committees as requested
- Participate in professional development activities and keep abreast of developments in subject matter area
- Participate in self-assessment activities and integrate evaluation feedback from administrators into planning to improve teaching performance
- Conduct workshops or presentations to share expertise and information from professional development activities
- Provide a safe, secure and well-organised environment that encourages the development of children as independent learners and considerate members of the school community
- Take responsibility for the safety, education and social development of each child in the class
- Provide a role model for the development of children’s social behavior and attitudes
- Work in partnership with parents in providing a quality education experience for all the children.
- Along with all members of the staff, undertake responsibilities as detailed in the school’s Health and Safety Manual.
- Accept additional responsibilities in respect of organizing and supervising co-curricular activities.
- Actively promote the mission, vision and values of the school.
- Accept reasonable additional responsibilities as required by the Director.
- Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons according to PUE and regulatory safeguarding requirements including but not limited to the provisions of the PUE Child Protection Policy.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
5. Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in a standard educational environment in accordance with school rules, teaching contract, and the Teacher Handbook. Occasional work required outside of normal school hours as well as occasional travel.
6. Communications and Working Relationships:
- Students – very frequent contact to provide instruction and support
- School administrators – regular contact to report on student progress and to coordinate resolution of any issues
- Faculty – frequent contact in subject matter area for collaboration and planning and for mutual support in general
- Staff – Contact as needed to request and receive support services
- Parents / Guardians – regular communication to communicate student progress and resolve any issues or concerns
7. Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates different options when solving problems
- Refrains from drawing conclusions in the absence of clear evidence, takes time to collect facts before developing a solution
- Considers the medium term as well as immediate short-term impact of outcomes and actions
- Demonstrates an awareness of the impact of preferred solution on other projects/ related problems
8. Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Accepts responsibility / accountability for own decisions and explains the rationale
- Reviews available information in conjunction with interested parties and arrives at decisions by consensus judging degree of consultation needed to ensure commitment
- Remains calm and resourceful when making difficult decisions, basing them on facts
- Ensures decisions are taken by self and group after reviewing available information while exhibiting reasonable foresight
9. Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in education-related field or relevant subject matter area
- 2 years of teaching experience at the relevant grade level and/or in the relevant subject area preferred
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), Teaching License or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Post Graduate qualification in an education related field desirable
- International Baccalaureate experience an advantage as applicable
- Strong interpersonal communication and negotiation skills
- Strong organization, planning, and time management skills
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely; Arabic proficiency an advantage
- Proficiency in Computer literacy (word-processing, spreadsheets, etc.) and familiarity with curriculum management and learning management applications
Dependent on lifestyle and extent of travel, however, there are potential savings; e.g. - Single teacher = up to $25,000 - Couple (Both teaching) with 2 children = up to $40,000
Fully furnished apartment provided and utilities paid.
End of Service Bonus
One month's basic salary for each completed year of service based upon final monthly basic salary.
Economy class tickets in connection with annual leave to the nearest international airport in your home country, and one way Economy class ticket at the start and end of the contract.
Transport Allowance paid with the monthly salary.
Education for Dependents
The Foundation will provide Education assistance for four eligible dependent children between the age levels prescribed for Pre 3 up to and including Grade 12 as per Pre University Education policy.
Coverage – 13 academic years for children who have not reached their 18th birthday; OR completed high school (whichever is later).
Eligibility – children who are living with their family in Qatar and of 3-18 years of age or in senior year of high school studying a formally recognized curriculum approved by the Ministry of Education
Full medical cover provided and 85% dental.