SEN Teacher Teaching Jobs Abroad

Find jobs teaching and supporting special needs students abroad today and you could be living one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of your life.

Popular locations:

Regardless of the nation-state in question, children throughout the world with special needs require in-class assistance to ensure they obtain the help they need. As such, have you considered broadening your horizons by teaching special education needs abroad? If you’re looking to teach in a country with a similar education system to the UK - such as Australia, Canada, or the USA - then you’ll need to have a strong background in helping children with special needs. 

Crucially, schools that promote inclusive principles will expect a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree from a recognized university. This needs to be in special education needs itself, or a psychology-related discipline. Moreover, as the school in question will likely be required to sponsor your work permit, institutions typically require a minimum of 1-3 years experience - sometimes more. 

With that said, if you're an experienced SEN teacher with the required academic profile, a teaching role abroad can be a highly rewarding experience. Fancy finding out whether or not you have what it takes to teach special education needs abroad? Be sure to read the guidelines outlined below!

Teaching SEN (Special Education Needs) Abroad: Qualifications

Before you start packing your suitcase for that dream SEN role, you need to ensure that you have the required academic profile. At an absolute minimum, you’ll need to be in possession of a degree from a recognized university. 

However, this can’t be a degree in a generic subject area. On the contrary, it needs to be related to special education needs. Some schools will consider your application if the degree is linked to psychology, although this won’t always be the case.

You will stand an even greater chance of landing that dream SEN position if you have also undergone a postgraduate teaching diploma. This illustrates that you have the required skills to succeed in a classroom setting. 

Do I Need Experience as a SEN teacher to teach abroad

While your academic background is a crucial metric to consider, schools will also be keen to explore your prior teaching experience. If you’re fresh out of university and yet to take your first posting, you might struggle to land a position abroad. 

The reason for this is that institutions might be required to sponsor your work permit. This can be a cumbersome process, so schools feel more comfortable doing it if they are taking on a teacher that can demonstrate prior in-class experience.

As such, you should possess at least 1-3 years of relevant experience teaching special education needs students. In fact, the more lucrative roles will ask for at least 5 years, so do bear this in mind.

How can I Find a Special Education Needs job Abroad?

If you possess the required academic profile - alongside several years’ worth of relevant in-class experience, you’re just one step away from landing that dream SEN teaching role. You’ll find heaps of SEN teaching opportunities listed on this page from a variety of schools and academic centers. 

The roles listed on this page cover countries from every corner of the globe. As such - whether you’re looking to teach in the hustle and bustle of New York or a village school in Dunedin, there’s a role to suit most needs.