Physical Education Teaching Jobs Abroad

Considering a move abroad for a Physical Education teaching position? Teaching Abroad Direct has numerous opportunities to help you discover your next adventure

Popular locations:

Teaching Physical Education (PE) Abroad

Are you currently teaching physical education in your home country, but looking to broaden your horizons by landing a similar role abroad? If so, the possibilities are virtually endless. Depending on the specific country that you wish to teach in - as well as the type of school or academic setting, you’ll likely need to be in possession of at least a Bachelor's Degree.

Moreover, if you're hoping to make the transition into a formal education system such as teaching primary or secondary school students, then a Postgraduate diploma will likely be needed too. On the other hand, this isn’t always the case, especially if your chosen destination has a high demand for Physical Education teachers.

As such, we would suggest having a quick perusal through our quickfire guide on Teaching PE abroad.

Qualifications to teach Physical Education Abroad

If you're looking to make a serious career change at a high-level school overseas, then the best thing that you can do is to consider the process you went through in becoming a teacher in your home country. For example, if you're currently teaching Physical Education in the UK, then you'll know that you would initially have had to undergo a three-year Bachelor's Degree.

After that, you would have likely have needed to undergo a more formal Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) as part of your initial teacher training program. As a result, many first-world countries will require you to possess both a Bachelor's Degree and a PGCE (or local equivalent) to teach within a public school. However, this isn't always the case, so holding one of the two might be sufficient.

Experience required to teach Physical Education abroad

There is also the chance that your chosen school abroad will require you to have relevant experience. This means that you will need to have previously taught Physical Education for the school to consider your education. The minimum time-frame will vary, but typically averages between 1-3 years.

Furthermore, some schools might ask that you have previously taught the subject to the same age group that you are now looking to teach. If you do have the required experience, you’ll need to get this certified by your previous employer as part of your application.

Where is the best place to teach Physical Education Abroad?

One of the best things about choosing to teach Physical Education abroad is that the world is your oyster. By this, we mean that by holding the required skill set, demand for foreign teachers in this particular field is sky-high. Whether you’re looking for a stringent education system like Singapore or a less bureaucratic opportunity over in China, or even Qatar, spend some time thinking about the type of role you would like to take.

We have many listings for Physical Education teaching jobs abroad. You can also filter down by country to gauge the different locations that typically hire.

Will I need a visa to teach Physical Education abroad?

If you’re looking for a Physical Education teaching job abroad, then you need to ensure that you obtain the required work permit. The specifics will, of course, depend on the country in question. In some cases, you might be able to land a job before you arrive at your chosen destination. If you do, then the school will likely obtain your work permit for you. This is one less thing to worry about, subsequently allowing you to concentrate on other areas of your big move.

Alternatively, you might also consider visiting your chosen destination before making a committing, and then applying for Physical Education teaching jobs at a later date. This way, you get to evaluate whether your chosen country is right for you - especially when it comes to culture and living standards.