North America, Cayman Islands
Cayman Prep & High School
Cayman Prep and High School is a private, co-educational Christian school with over 970 students ranging from Kindergarten to Year 13 and offers a British-based international curriculum leading to IGCSE / GCSE and A-level qualifications. The school is renowned for providing a stimulating learning environment in which our students become critical, creative thinkers, responsible citizens and lifelong learners. This is evident in our consistent record of outstanding academic achievements, pastoral care and wide range of extra-curricular activities.
The High School invites applications from fully qualified, enthusiastic and experienced candidates to join our highperforming team in late August 2020 for the following positions:
TEACHING / LEARNING ASSISTANT – (Support for Learning (SfL) SEN) Reporting to the Coordinator of Support for Learning at the High School, the SfL Teaching / Learning Assistant will work to enhance student learning, by supporting in Years 7 – 11, developing effective learning strategies, enabling students to reach their potential in the core subject areas, specifically in Mathematics and Science.
Duties for the Teaching / Learning Assistant position will include, but will not be limited to:
• Provide in class support for students in Year 7 – 11, specifically in Mathematics and Science;
• Plan collaboratively with teachers, developing and executing individualized programmes of study to enhance the learning of students; • Develop differentiated resources to support students with identified learning needs;
• Participate in appraising the needs of students with learning difficulties by monitoring student progress;
• Take on the role of ‘Learning Mentor’, monitor individual student progress using data provided and assist with setting realistic targets; • Liaise with teachers over factors affecting individual student needs; • Work in a team, helping teachers to provide the Year 7-13 exam accommodations;
• Develop resources and advise the SfL Coordinator regarding the need for any specialist equipment, materials and books; • Work with parents/guardians to foster continued home/school partnerships;
• Disseminate relevant information to staff in a timely and effective manner; • Undertake any other training that may be considered relevant to the job;
• Participate in a wide range of extra-curricular activities. Qualifications, experience and skills required for the Teaching / Learning Assistant position:
• A degree in a relevant subject area, such as Mathematics and/or Science and/or English and/or Humanities;
• An internationally recognized teaching qualification, such as PGCE or BEd is preferred;
• Minimum of two years’ experience supporting students with learning needs in a school environment at High School level;
• Passionate about facilitating student learning skills with creative and innovative ideas
• Specific training in SEN is desirable;
• A robust understanding of learning support strategies and the emotional and physical development of the student;
• Proficient in using Management Information Systems, such as SIMS and Microsoft Office products, especially MS Word and Excel;
• Must have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills;
The salary range for the Teaching / Learning Assistant position is: CI$21,600 – CI$35,500 per annum and will be commensurate with experience. Other benefits include medical insurance and contribution to a pension plan.
Candidates will be expected to fully adhere to and support the Christian ethos of the school.
Cayman Prep and High School is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of our children and young people and expects the same commitment from all our employees. All successful candidates will be subject to enhanced pre-employment clearance including identity checks, criminal background checks, qualification checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any gaps in employment and three satisfactory employment checks.