North America, Cayman Islands
Cayman Prep and High School
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing, developing and promoting the effective and efficient use of the library and library resources; Supporting the development of literacy, reading and research skills across all stages of Primary School; Promoting the enjoyment of, and excitement about reading and literacy to all members of the School Community. The successful candidate will be required to provide supply teaching from time to time for teachers who are absent (if they possess a teaching qualification).
Duties for the Librarian position will include, but will not be limited to:
• Manage the Primary School’s library and information resources ensuring effective and efficient access for all staff and students;
• Select, acquire, organise, promote and maintain quality books and other learning resources to cover the full age and ability range of the students, and to ensure an up-to-date selection of appropriate reading material;
• Manage resources for effective retrieval and use, including the systematic indexing, classification and cataloguing of all library resources, and dissemination of information relating to those resources, to staff and students as appropriate;
• Participate with teaching staff in planning and supporting reader development, and encourage reading and enjoyment of literature;
• Support the learning and teaching of reading, research and literacy skills through individual and group support, across the full range of Primary-aged students (Kindergarten through to Key Stage 2);
• Support the maintenance of up-to-date records and organise other school reading resources;
Qualifications, experience and skills required for the Librarian position:
• Professional Librarian training and / or qualifications;
• An internationally recognized Teaching qualification, such as a PGCE or BEd., would be an asset;
• In-depth knowledge, understanding and experience of library and information skills;
• Current knowledge and understanding of children's literature and resources to support the EYFS and revised English National Curriculum (2014);
• Awareness of child development and the role of reading in the educational development of the child;
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to adapt to a range of very different audiences;
• Ability to use Junior Librarian and / or similar Library Management Information Systems and other ICT software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Ability to work independently, multi-task, manage multiple priorities and set and meet appropriate targets.
Salary range for the Librarian position is: CI$30,000 – CI$44,200 per annum commensurate with experience. Other benefits include medical insurance and contribution to a pension plan. Candidates will be expected to fully adhere to and support the Christian ethos of the school.
Cayman Prep and High School is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of our children and young people and expects the same commitment from all our employees. All successful candidates will be subject to enhanced preemployment clearance including identity checks, criminal background checks, qualification checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any gaps in employment and three satisfactory employment checks