South East Asia, Brunei
CfBT Brunei (part of Education Development Trust) is looking for a qualified and experienced EFL/ESP trainer to join its existing team, working on a new and exciting contract, teaching English to Chinese engineers onsite on an island just off the coast north of the capital, Bandar Seri Begawan. Successful candidates will receive an 18-month fixed contract and should be available to begin teaching from the 8 July 2019, and in country from the beginning of July.
We have put together a small, dedicated team of Trainers who will be supported and supervised by a Training Team Manager. Due to project expansion, we now need to expand the team further. We are recruiting a Senior Trainer and Trainer to work 5 days a week, delivering up to 25 contact hours of lessons, as well as planning, marking and developing materials.
Additionally, the Senior Trainer will:
- Act as a mentor to trainers
- Co-lead on team planning in terms of lesson plan, materials, ESP materials, and both formative and summative test design
- Be involved in the observation programme
- Co-lead on IELTS preparation and/or delivery
The aim of the programme is to take around 800 employees from an estimated beginner/elementary to intermediate level, You will be helping to write and deliver a bespoke English course and get the workforce confident at speaking and understanding their Bruneian counterparts orally. We need the engineers to be confident in their oral communications as quickly as possible, and then build on those skills to raise their level of English to a good intermediate level.
Outside of work, you are free to enjoy the delights of living in tropical Borneo, with great, and inexpensive connections to other south-east Asian destinations. Brunei is a quiet and incredibly peaceful country. It offers a wealth of natural beauty and would really suit outdoor types, and those with a willingness to work in a cultural environment that may be different from their own.
Candidates should be aware that no education support for dependents is available, and working opportunities for spouses is very limited.
Senior Trainer: The ideal candidate will be a native speaker with CELTA and DELTA. Consideration will be given to differently qualified (MA TESOL/Applied Linguistics). Experience in a senior teaching role within EFL and with experience of delivering both ESP and IELTS training are essential. Experience of Chinese learners is an advantage.
Trainer: The ideal candidate will be a native English speaker with a first degree, a CELTA and experience in ESP and IELTS training. Experience of Chinese learners is an advantage
Salary and Benefits
Tax free remuneration (subject to satisfactory probation and performance):
- Senior Trainer B$3,500 (approx. £1975) per month tax-free
- Trainer B$3,000 (approx. £1,700) per month tax free
- Contract Completion Bonus of one-twelfth of the total salary paid.
- Furnished, comfortable accommodation within a short driving distance from your work site.
- Baggage allowance of up to B$1000 (total sum of in and out).
- Settling-in allowance of B$500.
- Car hire for one –two months while awaiting your driving permits (you will need to be able to drive as there is insufficient public transport and have a full driving licence; once you have your permit, transport will be your own responsibility.
- Interest free car loan and computer loan
- Mid-term travel allowance of B$1500.
- Return flight to your destination of origin at the conclusion of the contract.
- All visa costs.
- Medical insurance coverage.
- 28 days annual holiday leave + 15 national holidays (43 days in total).
Start Date: 08-07-2019
Apply By: 15-06-2019